Updated October 15, 2020
Protecting your privacy is important to Pype. This Privacy Statement explains how Pype processes personal data in relation to websites, products, and services (“applications”), to in-person and digital events, webinars, and examinations (“events”), and to visits to our office (collectively, our “offerings”). References to “Pype,” “we” or “our” means Pype LLC and our related entities that link to this Privacy Statement.
We may display supplemental privacy notices on occasion, such as when we believe additional transparency would help you make an informed choice about whether to provide personal data. For example, you may see a supplemental privacy notice explaining a particular data collection program, or you may see a supplemental notice when registering for an event.
This Privacy Statement describes how we process personal data for our own purposes. We may also process personal data on behalf of our customers subject to a written contract. We do not control the data processing or protection practices of our customers, which may differ from those set out in this Privacy Statement.
“Personal data” is information that identifies or can reasonably be linked directly or indirectly to an identifiable person. Personal data does not include information that is anonymous, de-identified, or aggregated, as those terms may be defined under applicable law.
What information does Pype collect about you?
Information you provide us:
We collect information directly from you, such as when you sign up for an account or use an application, register a product or service, sign up for our newsletter or for one of our events, when you interact with one of our events, activities or with social media, or otherwise contact us. The types of information we may collect from you include:
- Identifiers, such as your name, telephone number, physical and email address, IP address, account username, and account password
- Professional information, such as your occupation, industry, professional licenses, work experience and employment history, and other qualifications
- Commercial information, such as details about your subscription plans, the applications that you have purchased or expressed interest in, and events you have attended
- Financial account information, such as payment information you provide when making a purchase through the applications (a third party processes these transfers on our behalf as described below)
- Protected characteristics (where applicable)
- Visual, audio and electronic information, such as your picture or signature, records of our interactions, such as correspondence, details of complaints and their resolutions, service records, and your preferences, including your preferred tools, experience, language, and the frequency at which you wish to receive marketing communications
When you make purchases through our websites, we use a payment processor, Stripe, and do not store credit card or other financial information (other than confirmation that payment in a certain amount has been made). We collect contact and account information from you that we pass through to the payment processor to facilitate the transaction. For more information you can contact our providers as set forth in their privacy notices.
Information we obtain or generate:
We automatically collect or generate certain personal data about you based on your interactions with us, such as when your use our applications, and we may associate that information with your account. The information we collect includes:
- Identifiers, such as unique device identifiers, IP addresses, cookie identifiers, information about product licenses, and usernames
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as the website domain visited, which activities and applications are used, how and for how long, how the applications are accessed, posts, discussions and other types of engagement with us, including on our blogs, discussion forums or chat rooms, the use of any hyperlinks or downloadable content available through the applications
- Electronic information, such as product IDs, information about operating systems, device types, information about browsers, information relating to automatic updates and technical errors, information about your use of our applications, including your preferred tools and experiences, and your engagement with our activities
- Commercial information, such as records about interest in our applications or completed purchases
- Inferences drawn from any of the personal and application usage information available to us
Information we collect from other parties:
We receive and process information from our affiliates and from third-party sources, such as employers, business partners, business contact databases, enrichment services, channel partners (e.g. resellers), marketing service providers, third-party data aggregators and social networking platforms (e.g., LinkedIn and Facebook). We also receive information from publicly available sources and licensors. The categories of personal data we collect from these sources include:
- Identifiers, such as names, phone numbers, and email addresses
- Professional information, such as occupations, industries, professional licenses, work experience and employment histories, and other qualifications
- Commercial information, such as events you have attended or activities you have participated in
In accordance with applicable law, we may combine your personal data with information we collect from other parties to help keep our databases current and accurate, and to provide you with more relevant content, experiences, applications and other offerings.
How does Pype use the information it collects about you?
We use your personal data mindfully, and in useful ways, including:
- To validate your identity as necessary to perform our contract with you
- To deliver services, products, events, and support as necessary to perform our contract with you
- To maintain and improve the security of, and to troubleshoot any issues relating to, our offerings as necessary to perform our contract with you or, when not necessary to perform a contract, in furtherance of our legitimate interests
- To send you important information within the scope of our contract with you
- To send you other information you requested, to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you or, when not necessary to perform a contract, in furtherance of our legitimate interest in responding to customer inquiries
- To anonymize, aggregate, or de-identify your personal data so it can no longer identify you in furtherance of our legitimate interest in preserving the privacy of our customers
- To understand the ways our offerings are used and the people using them in furtherance of our legitimate interests in improving the overall user experience and our offerings (or, where needed, with consent)
- To make informed decisions about our business operations and report on the performance of our business in furtherance of our legitimate interests or, where needed, with consent
- To develop and improve our offerings and your experience in furtherance of our legitimate interests (or where needed, with consent), including through the use of automated systems that analyze data using machine learning and other analytic techniques
- To analyze trends and how you interact with our offerings to provide you with information that might be of interest to you in furtherance of our legitimate interests or, where needed, with consent
- To send you learning content and tutorials, suggestions, offers, promotions, newsletters, surveys, advertising, marketing, or other information, including information that may be relevant to your interests or preferences, in furtherance of our legitimate interests or, where needed, with consent
- To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud and software piracy (e.g., to confirm that software is genuine and properly licensed) and to protect you, Pype, and third parties in furtherance of our legitimate interests
- To enforce and review compliance with the legal terms that govern our offerings
- To comply with our legal obligations under applicable laws
- To protect the rights, safety and property of Pype, you, or any third party
- For other purposes, for which we obtain your consent (where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at the contact details below or as otherwise indicated to you in writing)
- As further described in our offerings, such as in a supplemental notice
Where we rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data, you may have the right to object to that processing on the basis of circumstances specific to you. For more information, see “What Rights and Choices Do You Have?” below.
When we process personal data about you to comply with legal requirements or to perform our obligations under a contract with you or with our customer through whom you use our applications, failure to provide such data may prevent or delay our fulfillment of these obligations.
How does Pype disclose your personal data?
We disclose the categories of information described above to the following categories of persons:
- Our service providers, including vendors, consultants, and other service providers who perform services or functions on our behalf, for business purposes. For example, our service providers may include companies who support us with marketing, sales, consulting, communications, software maintenance and support, analytics and machine learning, social media, market research, license compliance, security, user verification, localization, and payment processing
- Our business partners, such as integration partners, channel partners (e.g., resellers), and event sponsors and attendees, with whom you interact to facilitate your relationship with Pype and those business partners for any of the purposes described in our or those business partners’ privacy statements
- Our affiliates, for any of the purposes and uses of information described in this Privacy Statement, including providing you with integrated products and services (including administering purchases, services, and payments across our integrated products and services) in furtherance of our legitimate interests
- Persons to whom we are required by law to provide information, such as pursuant to a subpoena or a court order
- Law enforcement, legal counsel, or other reasonably necessary parties when we have a good faith belief that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or respond to fraud or software piracy, defend ourselves against attacks, or protect the rights, property, and safety of Pype, our customers, and the public
- Persons involved in the consideration, negotiation, completion of a business transaction, including the sale, merger, consolidation, acquisition, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, bankruptcy, or reorganization, and any subsequent integration
We may also disclose your personal data to other parties when we have your consent to do so or when you direct us to, for any purposes requested or permitted by you.
We may share aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified demographic, statistical, and other information regarding use of our applications with third parties for marketing and other purposes. Such information will not specifically identify any particular user.
How does Pype protect your data?
We maintain a combination of reasonable and appropriate physical, administrative, and technological controls to protect your data from unauthorized access or malicious actions. We take reasonable steps to limit the access employees, contractors, and agents of Pype have to your personal data to those who need to know this data to perform their assigned functions.
What rights and choices do you have?
Certain jurisdictions grant individuals rights with respect to their personal data. Depending on where you live or applicable law, you may have the right to:
- Object to our processing of your personal data
- Have us block or anonymize your personal data, as appropriate
- Receive a copy of your personal data to transfer it to a third party
- Opt-out of certain direct marketing communications
- Opt-out of certain disclosures of your personal data to third parties
- Not be denied a good or service for exercising your rights, though you may be provided a different level of service or charged a different rate or price consistent with applicable law
- Withdraw your consent, where we process your information on the basis of consent
- Lodge a complaint with the relevant data protection authority in the jurisdiction in which you are located
These rights may be limited in some circumstances by local law. For example, even if you ask us to delete your personal data, we may need to retain it to complete transactions you have requested, to comply with our legal obligations, or for other limited business purposes as required or permitted by law.
To exercise applicable rights, please contact us at email@example.com. Consistent with applicable law, we may ask for proof of your identity before fulfilling your request, and we may ask for additional forms of verification depending on the nature of the personal data requested.
Where we process personal data on behalf of our customers, we may refer the request to the relevant customer and cooperate with their handling of the request, subject to any special contractual arrangement with that customer.
California residents, please read the “Your California Privacy Rights” section for additional disclosures and information regarding your rights under California law.
What are Pype’s storage and data retention practices?
We store your personal data and content on our servers and the servers of our service providers. Because we and our service providers maintain servers in global locations, your personal data may be transferred across national borders and stored on the servers outside of your country or region.
We will retain your personal data for as long as necessary to provide you with the offerings you are using, for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, and as needed to comply with our legal obligations. Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
Does Pype transfer your personal data across national borders?
We transfer personal data across national borders to other countries, in compliance with the laws that apply to that data. Where required by law, we have put in place measures to adequately protect personal data that we transfer across borders. If you wish to obtain a copy of the safeguards that we use to protect personal data transferred across borders, please contact us using the information in the “How to contact us” section below.
What are Pype’s marketing and advertising practices?
You can opt out of the use of your information by Ad Partners for online behavioral advertising by using the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Your AdChoices tool. The Your AdChoices tool may not work if your browser does not accept third-party Cookies, and if you delete Cookies, use a different browser, or use a different computer, you will need to use the tool again to renew your opt out. As described above, you may be able to set your web browser to refuse certain types of cookies.
Pype currently does not respond to “do not track” signals.
How does Pype protect children and student data?
Pype’s offerings are made for the general public and are designed for adult users. We refer to these applications as “general interest applications.” We do not knowingly collect personal data from children in connection with general interest applications.
Will this Privacy Statement change?
We may change this Privacy Statement to reflect changes in the law, our data handling practices, or the features of our business. We will show the date the Privacy Statement was last updated to help you know when we change it. If we make material changes to our Privacy Statement, we will endeavor to provide you with notice before such changes take effect, such as through prominent notice on our website or services or by email.
How to contact us?
If you want to contact us, please use the following contact information. When you do so, please tell us the name of the offering about which you are contacting us:
By email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
By postal mail to: Pype LLC, 2350 Corporate Park Dr. STE 425, Herndon, VA 20171
Who can I contact with questions or concerns?
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority of the United States of America.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law treats certain disclosures of personal data by covered businesses to third parties in exchange for something of value as “sales,” even when no money changes hand. We do not “sell” personal data subject to California law.
We described several types of rights in “What Rights and Choices Do You Have?” above. If you reside in California, you may have rights to access the specific pieces of your information, the right to know details about our processing of your information, the right to request deletion of your personal data, and the right to not be denied goods or services for exercising these rights. You can exercise those rights by emailing us at email@example.com. In order to complete your rights request, we may ask for proof of your identity, and we may ask for additional forms of verification depending on the nature of the personal data requested.